Definition - What does Nano Coating mean?
A nano coating refers to very fine, thin layers of polymeric chemical substances used to impart specific corrosion resistance, chemical and physical properties to a substrate surface. They are primarily used to change the hydrophobic and/or oleophobic properties of a surface by applying a protective coating on a significantly small scale of several microns.
Corrosionpedia explains Nano Coating
Nano coatings are used on a wide variety of substrates, including metals, glass, ceramics and polymers.
Some benefits of nano coatings are:
- Reduced need for substrate maintenance activities to prevent corrosion
- Reduced labor and material costs
- Prolonged substrate lifespan and application use
- Increased substrate resistance to temperature fluctuations
- Substrate waterproofing
- Ultraviolet (UV) stability and abrasion resistance