How can leaks in oil and gas pipelines promote microbiologically influenced corrosion?
Microbiologically influenced corrosion (MIC) is a perennial problem for pipelines used to process and transport petroleum products.
The challenge for the oil and gas industry is the potential for process leaks into the cooling water systems. In the absence of adequate leak detection, leaks can cause rapid and severe problems including pitting corrosion, deposition and microbiological fouling due to the additional carbon food sources upon which the microorganisms feed. (Pitting corrosion is examined more fully in Pitting Corrosion in Oil and Gas Wells and Pipelines.)
Increasingly, MIC is being implicated in midstream and pipeline corrosion failures. While this may not be intuitive, some emulsified water remains with the hydrocarbon being transferred at the oil/water interfaces. The problems are compounded if the sulfur content of the transferred hydrocarbon product is high. Best practices in this industry included pigging the lines and adding biocides after the pigging is completed.
More Q&As from our experts
- What industries are most affected by microbiologically influenced corrosion?
- What is the process behind identifying microbiologically influenced corrosion in water pipelines?
- What are some of the new methods behind the treatment of microbiologically induced corrosion?
- Microbiologically Influenced Corrosion
- Microbial Corrosion
- Leak Detection
- Fouling Organism
Don't miss the latest corrosion content from Corrosionpedia!
Subscribe to our newsletter to get expert advice and top insights on corrosion science, mitigation and prevention. We create world-leading educational content about corrosion and how to preserve the integrity of the world’s infrastructure and assets.
- QUIZ: 11 Questions to Test Your Underwater Inspection Knowledge
- (FREE DOWNLOAD) Solvent Recycling: Acetone, MEK, Lacquer Thinner and Toluene
- Come Write for Corrosionpedia!
- FREE Download on our sister site Trenchlesspedia: The Ultimate Guide to Underwater Remotely Operated Vehicles and Robots
- QUIZ: All About Robotic Crawlers — 12 Inspection Questions!
- QUIZ: Corrosion and Protection of Underground Pipelines
- Come write for Trenchlesspedia
- Free Webinar: Accomplish the Impossible with Integrity Intelligence
- WEBINAR: MITIGATING CUI: A TWO-PRONGED APPROACH
- Free Webinar: Accomplish the Impossible with Integrity Intelligence | Tuesday, March 10, 2020 10:00 AM (CST)