With respect to CUI, how well do thermal insulating coatings retard the spread of corrosion?
With respect to corrosion under insulation (CUI), how well do thermal insulating coatings retard the spread of corrosion?
Editor's note: this question was answered in The Use of Insulation Coatings for Burn Protection, a Webinar from Corrosionpedia. See more on our Webinar page.
Thermal insulation coatings (also known as thermal barrier coatings) provide both a resistance to heat flow and a protective finish to the objects (such as pipelines and process vessels) to which they are applied.
First, there is no gap between the thermal insulation coating and the primer where water can ingress and quickly degrade the corrosion protective primer. (For more information on this topic, read The Detrimental Effects of Wet Insulation in the CUI Range.)
Second, with the temperature gradient in the insulation coating, moisture from the environment will be kept away from the metal substrate. Think of it as the opposite of the cold-wall effect, where moisture is drawn into the coating if the substrate metal is at cooler temperatures relative to the external temperature. For coating defects, like delamination and blistering, the temperature gradient should also keep moisture from migrating into the blister or delaminated area.
Third, if the insulation coating and primer are damaged and the metal substrate is exposed, resulting in rust formation at the defect, the rust will stain the area around the defect, making it highly visible so that it can be repaired well before significant metal or wall loss occurs.
More Q&As from our experts
- Are there any OSHA regulations that need to be taken into account when using thermal insulating coatings?
- Does aluminum rust?
- Are there some anti-corrosion applications in which airless spraying is a bad idea?
- Corrosion Under Insulation
- Cold Wall Effect
- Thermal Insulation
- Thermal Barrier Coating
- Wall Loss
- Pipeline Coating
Don't miss the latest corrosion content from Corrosionpedia!
Subscribe to our newsletter to get expert advice and top insights on corrosion science, mitigation and prevention. We create world-leading educational content about corrosion and how to preserve the integrity of the world’s infrastructure and assets.
- QUIZ: 11 Questions to Test Your Underwater Inspection Knowledge
- (FREE DOWNLOAD) Solvent Recycling: Acetone, MEK, Lacquer Thinner and Toluene
- Come Write for Corrosionpedia!
- FREE Download on our sister site Trenchlesspedia: The Ultimate Guide to Underwater Remotely Operated Vehicles and Robots
- QUIZ: All About Robotic Crawlers — 12 Inspection Questions!
- QUIZ: Corrosion and Protection of Underground Pipelines
- Come write for Trenchlesspedia
- Free Webinar: Accomplish the Impossible with Integrity Intelligence
- WEBINAR: MITIGATING CUI: A TWO-PRONGED APPROACH
- Free Webinar: Accomplish the Impossible with Integrity Intelligence | Tuesday, March 10, 2020 10:00 AM (CST)