How can I convert the corrosion rate between the mils per year and the metric equivalent millimeter per year (mm/y), and why does this matter?
A corrosion rate conversion is a technique to change the measurement units of a given corrosion rate to another unit for comparison purposes or a specific engineering application. When converting a corrosion rate between these units you must keep in mind that a mil is a thousandth of an inch (i.e., a thousand mils equals one inch) and that one inch equals 25.4 millimeters:
1000 mils = 1 inch = 25.4 mm
Hence, one millimeter equals 39.37 mils:
1 mm = 1000 mils/25.4 mm = 39.37 mils
So, to convert a given corrosion rate from mm/y to mils/y, you must multiply by 39.37
and, to convert a given corrosion rate from mils/y to mm/y, you must divide by 39.37
Note: mils per year (mm/y) is often known as the mils penetration per year and abbreviated as mpy.
- A corrosion rate of 0.10 mm/y is equals to what in mpy?
0.10 mm/y * 39.37 mils/mm = 3.94 mpy
- What is the equivalent of 5 mpy in mm/y?
5 mils/y / 39.37 mils/mm = 0.13 mm/y
Having the corrosion rate expressed in the appropriate unit of measurement is important because unit consistency facilitates calculating the remaining service life of an asset. For example, if your equipment wall thickness is measured in inches and your corrosion rate in mm/y, and you want know how long it will take corrosion to consume a certain amount of wall thickness (the wall loss), then you will need to first convert the corrosion rate to mpy, and then to inch/y, before making the calculation. (To learn more about conversions, read Corrosion Rate Conversion: Simple Ways to Convert Data Between Common Corrosion Units.)
More Q&As from our experts
- Does aluminum rust?
- Are there some anti-corrosion applications in which airless spraying is a bad idea?
- Why should cathodic protection and a coating be used together to protect against corrosion?
- Corrosion Rate
- Mils Penetration Per Year
- Corrosion Rate Conversion
- Corrosion Penetration Rate
- Wall Loss
- Weight Loss Analysis
- Electrochemical Reaction
- Corrosion Resistance
Don't miss the latest corrosion content from Corrosionpedia!
Subscribe to our newsletter to get expert advice and top insights on corrosion science, mitigation and prevention. We create world-leading educational content about corrosion and how to preserve the integrity of the world’s infrastructure and assets.
- QUIZ: 11 Questions to Test Your Underwater Inspection Knowledge
- (FREE DOWNLOAD) Solvent Recycling: Acetone, MEK, Lacquer Thinner and Toluene
- Come Write for Corrosionpedia!
- FREE Download on our sister site Trenchlesspedia: The Ultimate Guide to Underwater Remotely Operated Vehicles and Robots
- QUIZ: All About Robotic Crawlers — 12 Inspection Questions!
- QUIZ: Corrosion and Protection of Underground Pipelines
- Come write for Trenchlesspedia
- Free Webinar: Accomplish the Impossible with Integrity Intelligence
- WEBINAR: MITIGATING CUI: A TWO-PRONGED APPROACH
- Free Webinar: Accomplish the Impossible with Integrity Intelligence | Tuesday, March 10, 2020 10:00 AM (CST)