How can I convert corrosion rate between mils per year and mm/y?
A corrosion rate conversion is a technique to change the measurement units of a given corrosion rate to another unit for comparison purposes or a specific engineering application. When converting a corrosion rate between these units you must keep in mind that a mil is a thousandth of an inch (i.e., a thousand mils equals one inch) and that one inch equals 25.4 millimeters:
1000 mils = 1 inch = 25.4 mm
Hence, one millimeter equals 39.37 mils:
1 mm = 1000 mils/25.4 mm = 39.37 mils
So, to convert a given corrosion rate from mm/y to mils/y, you must multiply by 39.37
and, to convert a given corrosion rate from mils/y to mm/y, you must divide by 39.37
Note: mils per year (mm/y) is often known as the mils penetration per year and abbreviated as mpy.
- A corrosion rate of 0.10 mm/y is equals to what in mpy?
0.10 mm/y * 39.37 mils/mm = 3.94 mpy
- What is the equivalent of 5 mpy in mm/y?
5 mils/y / 39.37 mils/mm = 0.13 mm/y
Having the corrosion rate expressed in the appropriate unit of measurement is important because unit consistency facilitates calculating the remaining service life of an asset. For example, if your equipment wall thickness is measured in inches and your corrosion rate in mm/y, and you want know how long it will take corrosion to consume a certain amount of wall thickness (the wall loss), then you will need to first convert the corrosion rate to mpy, and then to inch/y, before making the calculation. (To learn more about conversions, read Corrosion Rate Conversion: Simple Ways to Convert Data Between Common Corrosion Units.)
More Q&As from our experts
- Does aluminum rust?
- Are there some anti-corrosion applications in which airless spraying is a bad idea?
- Why should cathodic protection and a coating be used together to protect against corrosion?
- Corrosion Rate
- Mils Penetration Per Year
- Corrosion Rate Conversion
- Corrosion Penetration Rate
- Wall Loss
- Weight Loss Analysis
- Electrochemical Reaction
- Corrosion Resistance
Don't miss the latest corrosion content from Corrosionpedia!
Subscribe to our newsletter to get expert advice and top insights on corrosion science, mitigation and prevention. We create world-leading educational content about corrosion and how to preserve the integrity of the world’s infrastructure and assets.
- Water Pipelines: Prevent Corrosion, Eliminate Leaks
- Improving Pipeline Emissions: The Role of Flange Isolation Kits
- Epoxy Coatings 101: What Kind to Use and When
- An Innovative Solution to Traditional Plastic Isolation Gaskets
- Solvent Recycling: Acetone, MEK, Lacquer Thinner and Toluene
- Modeling Corrosion and Corrosion Protection
- Bituminous Coatings