What Does Thermoset Lining Mean?
A thermoset lining is a material composed of a prepolymer in a viscous liquid state that is used to protect metal surfaces from corrosion. Thermoset linings irreversibly convert to an infusible, insoluble polymer network by curing.
Corrosionpedia Explains Thermoset Lining
Thermoset lining materials have highly strengthened structures due to cross-linked chemical bonds. Therefore, they possess high mechanical and physical threshold capabilities that provide superior corrosion protection.
Thermoset linings are ideal for applications in regular contact with high stress, load, temperature and other external stresses. Such applications include those that involve:
- Severe pipe deflection (loss of ovality)
- Material or structure collapse
- Increase of metallic vessel capacity threshold
- Chemical erosion of metal surfaces
- Significant temperature extremes and/or variations