Definition - What does Gas Nitrocarburizing mean?
Gas nitrocarburizing is a variation of the nitriding process. It is a thermo-chemical diffusion process where nitrogen, carbon, and to a very small degree, oxygen atoms diffuse into the surface of the steel, forming a compound layer at the surface, and a diffusion layer. Nitrocarburizing is a shallow-case variation of the nitriding process.
Corrosionpedia explains Gas Nitrocarburizing
· Increased abrasion resistance as a result of higher hardness and strength of the case
· Reduction of the friction coefficient, and thus improved gliding properties
· Reduced adhesion to wear partner
· Reduced reactiveness to surrounding reactive agents
· Minimum dimension change and only slight form change
· High surface hardness with suitable materials