What Does Sand Molding Mean?
Sand molding is a metal equipment casting method that provides a desired design shape to the end product by pouring molten steel or other metal into a sand mold and letting it solidify in atmospheric temperature conditions. The products produced by sand molding are made in specialized factories known as foundries. More than 70% of all metal moldings are produced via the sand molding process.
Sand molding is also known as sand casting or sand molded casting.
Corrosionpedia Explains Sand Molding
Six basic steps are performed to mold a metal in a sand molded casting:
- Prepare the sand mold and place a design pattern in it
- Prepare the pattern and sand gating system
- Remove the pattern
- Fill the mold cavity with the molten metal
- The molten metal to allowed to cool in atmospheric temperature conditions
- The sand mold is broken to remove the metal casting
Sand molding is best for large components with thick cross sections. This process is capable of making fairly complex shapes using relatively inexpensive wood patterns.